On 4/28/2019 11:59 PM, Sachin Danave wrote:
  Traditional
accounting packages deal with this by allowing to define a dimension to
different accounts, whereby you can classify the accounts. This
classification field then can be used in reporting.
No, TRADITIONAL accounting is one dimensional (there is only one CoA hierarchy) and you have to "do things" to get reports on another basis. What you perhaps meant is that some accounting packages have incorporated various "extensions" to standard accounting to make reporting on another basis easier.

BTW -- in my working days, I made extensive use of adding called "tags" << adding an invisible field to records in a database so that they could be used/sorted/selected in various different ways >> Solving the problem of at some later date deciding that the data was needed differently than imagined when the system was designed. If designing a system from scratch I might incorporate such a field "just in case" because experience taught me that the system users would almost always want/need "something else" later.

Michael D Novack