> On 2 May 2019, at 00:47, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us> wrote:
>
> I sure hope so.
>
> Regards,
> John Ralls

Thanks, John.

Encouraged by your confidence in 3.5, I downloaded and installed it this
afternoon, from here:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/

Having mounted the DMG file (Gnucash-Intel-3.5-1.dmg) I dragged and dropped the
Gnucash.app across to the Applications folder, and ran it from there on my
current (version 3.4) file.

On the first run Gnucash shut down without any apparent reason (this seems to
be a common finding), but I ran it again and entered a few transactions without
trouble.

I saved and closed the file as normal.

When next I opened the same file the account registers were opened as I had
left them, but the program wouldn’t respond at all, and the menu bar had none
of the usual menu items, just the Apple symbol and “Gnucash”.

I was unable to shut Gnucash down using the usual methods, so had to Force
Quit, and when I tried again I got the file lock warning - I said Open Anyway,
but the result was the same.

I’ve since tried opening the same file with version 3.4, but that behaved in
exactly the same way.

I’ve also tried downloading and reinstalling 3.5-1, with no change in the
outcome.

Where do I go from here?

Michael Hendry