Hadn't thought of that.

I had already exited when I saw your suggestion and when I started
up gnucash again, that same sequence to/from the same accounts as before
now works. Perhaps copy/paste works only in the afternoons, not mornings. :-)

Earlier when I saw the problem, the cut did work,
the transaction vanished from the source account, but
when I pasted it into the destination account, it magically appeared again
in the source account but not the destination account.

I also tried cutting a transaction, then pasting into a text editor (emacs)
and the transaction does not paste so they must hide it someplace else
other than the standard clipboard.

I can cut/copy text from one of the gnucash fields and paste it in emacs
so that part works with the standard clipboard.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion, I guess I'll chalk it up to a stray cosmic ray.