Ok. This comes up from time to time. Others may chime in with additional
pointers, but here's how I'd go about it.

1) I would change the date of the Opening Balance transaction to the day before
your starting date (December 31, 2017 for example), and change the amounts of
both lines in this transaction (i.e., both the debit and the credit) to reflect
the amount on that date. So, if your checking account April 1 opening balance
entry is $500, but your December 31 balance was $350, change the debit and
credit amount in the Opening Balance transaction from $500 to $350 and set the
date to December 31.
2) I would then enter every transaction in the gap period.
3) I would then take the hopeful step of pulling my *most recent* reconciled
statement and trying to re-reconcile. Presumably, the only differences between
the previous reconciliation and this pass will be the transactions you entered
from the previous gap period, and when you select all these earlier
transactions, it should balance out, and you can finish the reconciliation. If
this works, then you are done with the process.

If for some reason this doesn't work, you'd most likely have to de-reconcile
everything then and work through month by month from bank statements, which
would pinpoint the discrepancies and allow you to work them out. This,
admittedly, is much more painful, and off the top of my head, I cannot think of
a simple way to reset the reconcile tag. This is not to say it can't be done;
just that I haven't really given it thought. If it were me, I'd probably take
the data into an SQL backend, and figure out how to use SQL to change the
reconcile flag for that account. Of course, that's a quick way to screw up you
data permanently, so if you need to go that route, the usual warnings apply
(Work on a backup, damages cannot be fixed by others, etc.)

HTH,
David T.