Well, it seems odd to me that "Double" display (as Adrien noted)(thank you, Adrien!) is able to display the figures as the user prefers. It is also odd to me that the report knows to switch the values of the individual transactions, but is unable to remember that fact when it comes to the totals. That right there is the problem.

As for the FAQ, it seems to me that there is a mistake in the example there: the GnuCash option is to change signs for Income *and* Expenses. But the example provided reverses Income but not Expenses. Were it to reverse both sets of accounts as the preference indicates, then the math should work out correctly ($100+10-20=$90). Or am I missing something here?

Why is it not possible to perform the calculation for totals and then apply a display modifier so that the user sees numbers as they prefer?

The current solution is a poor one.