The OP was fairly light on details. (and gave a general “I don’t understand”
but never said specifically ‘what’ they didn’t understand)

It seems a few people hazarded a guess and might have gotten it right. (we
haven’t heard back from the OP yet since)

Another approach would be to tell someone, “Forget about any advice from
elsewhere concerning ‘journal entries’ and just follow the Help & Guide with
respect to entering your expenses. If you have specific questions trying to do
that, let us know.”

If the OP started with the Help Manual (or only read that one) I can understand
their frustration. It isn’t a “How do I do this” it is a “How does the program
work from a technical perspective once I’ve already figured out what I need to
do”. I’ve always thought of the Help Manual as more of an Appendix sort of
reference in many respects and not an actual Help that most other apps include
and that I’m certainly used to referencing. The Help manual doesn’t tell you
how to keep track of your expenses. That is covered in the Guide. But the
necessary Setup work and the technical step by step of entering transactions
generically is covered in Help. I personally think this is a mess and I know
there are strong opinions in favor of the present situation, but this list
seems to bare out that it needs serious rethinking and re-ordering.

Now that I’m off that soap box, perhaps an approach to this type of question
should more specifically be, “Read Chapter 2 ’The Basics’ of the Tutorial &
Concepts Guide first to get a grasp on what needs to be done, then follow the
‘Setting Up' from Chapter 5 and 'Entering Transactions' from Chapter 6 of the
Help Manual. Let us know if you have any questions.”

The fact that someone needs to be directed *to get started* to Chapter 2 of one
manual and Chapter 5 & 6 of another should illustrate the confusing nature of
the current documentation organization.