Frank and Deane,

I think that the page that Frank provided a link to [
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC ] is probably slightly overwhelming to
people who are not regular users of IRC, which, these days is most people,
since we have mostly migrated to SMS apps on cellphones.

First, choosing an IRC client can be overwhelming.  My favorite is Pidgin,
which runs on all three of the most common PC platforms, but Chatzilla and
Mibbitt are also commonly used.  Strangely, Pidgin is not listed except in
the general section of the [
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Internet_Relay_Chat_clients]
but there is a link to [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pidgin_(software)]
Historically, EFF, when they used to rate various messaging apps for
security, they gave Pidgin high marks, but now they explain that messaging
apps are very complex and they have so much potential for security gaps
that they just don't rate them any more [
https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2018/03/secure-messaging-more-secure-mess] .

Second, each client has it's own quirks which make them a little tricky for
a newbie to set up and use.  Fortunately, there is a lot of help available
on the internet for most of the clients, and
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC is a good start for that.  Just plan on
devoting some time to working through the learning curve.

David Carlson

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 6:09 PM Frank H. Ellenberger <
frank.h.ellenber...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Deane,
>
> Am Do., 15. Aug. 2019 um 00:12 Uhr schrieb Deane Yamane
> <deane.yam...@gmail.com>:
> >
> > I’m lost. Isn’t there a K.I.S.S Keep It Simple Stupid version to use
> #gnucash on irc.gnome.org <http://irc.gnome.org/>?
>
> Is https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/IRC not simple enough?
>
> Regards
> Frank