Your bank’s format may require a newer version of aqbanking.

I think you can run 3.7 on Sierra, but I could be mistaken.

Certainly, there are 3.x versions that will run on it and you don’t have to
stick with 2.6.21. One of them might have a recent enough version to get your
transactions.

A last resort may be to run GnuCash in a Linux VM so you can have a fully
up-to-date installation. VMWare has a seamless/unity mode, and if using
VirtualBox it is possible to run a headless VM that opens a single app like
GnuCash seamlessly with a GnuCash icon as if you didn’t know it was running in
Vbox. (takes some work, but it is possible if that is important to you and you
don’t like VM ‘window chrome’ getting in the way.)