> On Oct 7, 2019, at 12:27 PM, Adrien Monteleone
> <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net> wrote:
>
> Since Catalina was released today, I figured I start this thread because
> questions will arise.
>
> I’m not one to early adopt an OS upgrade. I usually wait a spell for the
> particular vendor to work out the initial kinks. But I’m curious if GnuCash
> 3.7 is ready to run on Catalina. I know there is a new Notarization
> requirement. Is 3.7 notarized? Or should Mac users wait for 3.8 to upgrade
> their OS?
>
> Also, I saw this today: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=09032019a
>
> Does point #2 cover the issue with FinanceQuote.app not being signed with
> GnuCash’s developer ID?

Adrien,

It's FinanceQuote Update.app, and I didn't include it in the 3.7 dmg because
it's not sign-able and so can't be notarized and so Catalina would reject the
dmg. That said, I just figured out how to make it signable... but it doesn't
quite work because it won't build XS modules--in particular, JSON::Parse. It
may come back in the future if I can work out the problems.

OTOH there's a warning in the Catalina release notes that all of the scripting
languages--perl, python, and ruby are mentioned--are provided for "legacy"
reasons and that they may be an extra download or something in a future
release. On the other hand, python3 is back.

The news item you cited is incorrect, as is the Apple Developer page about
notarizing legacy apps: I tried notarizing without hardened runtime, and
separately with unsigned binaries. Both failed. Fortunately the 10.9 SDK is
acceptable so GnuCash 3.7 bundle is notarized and should work fine on Catalina.
There's also a notarized Gnucash-Intel-3.6-2.dmg on Sourceforge.

Regards,
John Ralls