Andrew,

See the wiki about obtaining a tracefile on Windows. Make sure to check the
tracefile before re-starting GnuCash after a freeze. (it gets overwritten on
subsequent runs)

Also, check the wiki for running GnuCash from the command line. (cmd.exe) Some
errors or warnings are sent back to the command window that way.

You might not get anything of use, but both are worth checking out.

In the meantime...

Can you run other reports, such as P&L (Income Statement), Balance Sheet,
Cash-Flow, et cetera?

Can you try running the offending reports and narrow down the expense accounts?
Perhaps one or more has some sort of bad transaction info or is corrupted.

Try the Transaction Report on those (or various) expense accounts and see if it
freezes as well.

The goal here is to narrow down which (or if all) reports choke, and then
trying to find out what they are choking on.

Of course, make a backup of your datafile before proceeding.

You shouldn’t have to stay on 2.6 forever, and you shouldn’t need to make a new
file. But this might take some sleuthing.