Even simpler - I forgot about the new (experimental) multi-column Income
Statement in v3.8.

That will get your two periods lined up neatly. Then you just need to move that
to a spreadsheet and add your variance column & formulas.

Filing an RFE to add the variance column to the report would get you what you
are looking for right out of the box.