Derek, your answer confirmed Adrian's post and both gave me the confident to
experiment today. I'll pull the trigger on the big import tomorrow and report
back.
    On Wednesday, February 5, 2020, 09:18:35 AM EST, Derek Atkins
<de...@ihtfp.com> wrote:

 Hi,

Fran_3 via gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org> writes:

> Will assigning the Expense Account during import conflict with later
> creating a bill and then assigning a checking transaction as payment
> for that bill? (Since the Expense Account is normally assigned during
> creation of the bill... so this will be kind of backwards... I think)
> I hope I made the issue and question clear. At least I gave it my best shot
> :-)

The short answer is "yes".  If you import the check into Bank and
always assign the "correct" Expense account, then you will bypass the
Bill completely.  For Vendors that have a Bill you *MUST* assign the
payment to AP, not the appropriate Expense.

-derek

--
      Derek Atkins                617-623-3745
      de...@ihtfp.com            www.ihtfp.com