Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 14:39:01 -0600
From: Adrien Monteleone <adrien.montele...@lusfiber.net>
To: Gnucash Users <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Account Currency Screwed Up Again!

Thanks for the explanation.

On Feb 11, 2020 w7d42, at 1:20 PM, John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us>
wrote:
The transaction currency in which the value field of every split is
denominated is determined by the account in whose register one creates the
transaction. If that account is in a non-currency commodity then the
currency of first parent account denominated in a currency is used. So in
rsbrux's case where he had a stock XYZ under a CHF parent and bought using
AUD, the stock split will have an amount in XYZ and a value in CHF and the
cash split will have an amount in AUD and a value in CHF. That's a
three-way transaction with two prices: XYZ->CHF and AUD->CHF. Both should
be recorded in the price database. If he used basic view or was careless
about entering the price and values the AUD->CHF price might be 1 and the
XYZ->CHF price might have the value of XYZ's price in AUD.
Had he instead had the parent of the XYZ account in AUD as he should
have or if had created the transaction starting in the cash account then
the transaction currency would be AUD and only the stock split would have
a price.
Regards,
John Ralls