I hadn’t noticed since most of my files have extensions anyway, but indeed, I
just tested a markdown file by removing the extension. It changed the
association from Atom to TextEdit, but couldn’t open it. (Something about UTF-8
not being applicable. ?? Really ?? Opening with Atom worked fine though.)

Preview doesn’t work either as noted.

Thanks for the info.