The existing tool chain meets more than the need for a single document. There
is translation into multiple languages, online versions, standalone pdf,
epub etc. The Read theDoc' format is certainly quite nice but to be a
replacement candidate for the current tool stream it has to offer
considerable advantages over the current process while still meeting those
needs. Maybe these can all be met with an alternative but his needs to be
ascertained.

The current documenters have invested time and effort in coming to grips
with what we currently use. Replacing part of the current tool chain means
we are going to have to put time and effort into learning a new approach
when in most case our available time for working on the documentation is
better spent exploring GnuCash and how it works and the underlying code. It
is not as though we are particularly well resourced in this area.

I support Frank's approach of defining and documenting what it is the
documentation currently does and needs to do then looking at what the
advantages/disadvantages of any alternative approach to the current tool
chain actually are and whether it can mmet all the current needs. In doing
this we also need to examine who is currently working on the documentation
and how they might react to a significant  tool change. If a major effect is
we lose a significant part of the current resource base in this area, is it
really productive to make a change unless that change is really necessary
and increases the resource availability and productivity.  My time spent of
documentation is less on working out the intricacies of DocBook and more on
experimenting with GnuCash and exploring the code to ensure I understand
what is going on. DocBook is not my personal limitation although my
understanding of it is far from complete.

DocBook may not be as compact as asciidoc code but it is well documented and
the tag structure does help in finding and isolating errors. It may be more
productibve to go to DocBook 5 for example and enable a common glossary
between the guide and help manual and facilitate better crosslinking.

The prettiness of the output may also be addressed by changes to the style
sheets used to process the current docs which would not require a change to
an entire codebase or change of tool chain.

David Cousens

The time spent in reviewing this

-----
David Cousens