On 2020-07-05 23:55, Verghese Kuruvilla wrote:
> I am using GnuCash software ver 2.6.13 on my computer having Microsoft
> Windows 10. Is there a latest update for this version and if so how do I
> download the update?

There is, and it was announced on this list earlier this week. I guess
you must be new to the list. Welcome!

Stable releases can be downloaded from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/

However, as I was advised a couple of weeks ago, you cannot upgrade
directly from release 2.x to release 4.x. Major versions (2.x, 3.x, 4.x)
can read data files one step back, but not two steps back.
To be more explicit: release 3.x can read 2.x data files and convert
them to 3.x format. 4.x can read 3.x data files (not 2.x data files) and
concert them to 4.x format.

In order:
1. Make a backup of your data file, using normal Windows 10 file copy.
2. Install 3.11.
3. Run GC, open your 2.x data file. GC will convert it to 3.x format,
but you must save it.
4. Check in File Explorer to make sure that the data file has been
updated (based on time last modified), then make a backup using Windows
copy.
5. Install 4.0.
6. Run GC, open your 3.x data file. GC will convert it to 4.x format,
but you must save it.
7. Check in File Explorer to make sure that the data file has been
updated (based on time last modified), then make a backup using Windows
copy.

> Also could you please advice me whether I should install the GnuCash 4.0.

That's for each user to decide. Take a look at the release notes for 3.0
through 3.11 and for 4.0:
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/
Decide from those whether there are new features that you want. If not,
there is no reason to abandon a release that you are using successfully.

NOTE: That page only goes back to 3.9. There's a subtle "Next" link at
the bottom that takes you to release notes for earlier versions.

NOTE: Ignore versions 3.90x (3 digits after the decimal point). They are
pre-releases of 4.0, but 4.0 itself is the stable version.

> If so will it overwrite the existing software? How do I preserve my
> existing data and import it to the new version of the software.

Your data file should not be overwritten, but for safety's sake a backup
is always a good idea.

> In my present GnuCash software all the amounts under the account heads in
> the Accounts Tab precedes with "`". Is there any way to remove this?

Sorry, I don't know what's going on there. Possibly the font used on the
Accounts tab doesn't have your currency symbol, or something else may be
going on. If you're planning to upgrade to 4.0 anyway, I wouldn't
suggest spending time on issues with 2.6.19.

> I am a senior citizen and require your guidance.

"Request" might be a more pleasant word. :-)

Stan Brown
Tehachapi, CA, USA
https://BrownMath.com
https://OakRoadSystems.com