I'll add that you should *always* check the integrity of the download. (look up how to check sha256 hashes which are published both in the release notes and on SourceForge)

If you trust the original source, *and* you confirm the download came in as intended without corruption or interception and alteration, then yes, I'd tell Windows Defender the download is safe. Unless you check it though, you don't really know.