Gareth,

From the Wiki FAQ:

"Important: When moving from one major release to another, you are advised to run "Check & Repair" when opening the file for the first time in the new release. Specifically when running it after moving to a new major release, it may address data format issues that the old release ignored, but with which the new release has problems (like for example bug #340372."

So it should have been done when moving from 3.x to 4.x. If you haven't done so yet, go ahead. This isn't necessary when moving from say 4.0 -> 4.1 or 4.1 -> 4.2. (or jumping straight to 4.3 even at that time) If the devs fixed a data format bug in a minor release, they'd likely include that in the Release Notes with an advisory to run it then as well.

Make a backup or copy first, just in case. While this is supposed to 'repair' your file if there are problems, that doesn't mean something might not go wrong or not work as expected. *Always* have a backup.