The short answer on Issue #1 (UI highlights) is you'd now have to delve into the GTK theme itself. (more reading and work!)

This is where the gtk.css file - for all of GTK comes into play, not just the gtk-3.0.css file that is specific to GnuCash.

The theme sets a highlight for all apps using it. GnuCash doesn't necessarily change that or expose it for styling.

As for the other items, I shall investigate and report back.