I would stick with one or the other as they are different major versions. You shouldn't have any issues running two different minor versions such as 4.0 on one machine and 4.1 on another. There might be exceptions in some rare cases, but the devs will let everyone know if that happens and which versions are affected.

Compiling on Linux is not difficult but it does involve some reading and initial setup of the build environment. Another easy option is to use a recent Flatpak, but that too has some sandbox issues you may need to work around. (printing comes to mind, and I think there are some workarounds needed for using a db backend with Flatpak)

Otherwise, just install the same older version on Windows.