Eric,

Where you went astray in answering before was second-guessing my question: I
asked you to report on specific entries in the price database. As I expected,
you found the problem when you finally looked where I was trying to point you.

The reason that it was a problem is that GnuCash looks for a direct price
before trying for indirect ones, so if it finds a direct price no matter how
old that's what it will use.

Regards,
John Ralls