From: John Ralls <jra...@ceridwen.us>
Sent: Wed Dec 30 11:41:42 EST 2020
To: "D." <sunfis...@yahoo.com>
Cc: Greg Feneis <mfen...@gmail.com>, GnuCash-User <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
Subject: Re: [GNC] GnuCash 4.4 Announcement/GnuCash 4.3 Announcement

> On Dec 30, 2020, at 6:24 AM, D. via gnucash-user <gnucash-user@gnucash.org>
> wrote:
>
> Thanks, but the point is that the Gnucash project's standard practice-- that
> is, to post release announcements on the user and devel lists-- did not occur
> in this instance.
>
> @Frank: I didn't notice that your link was to a message in gnucash-announce.
> I don't know what the information flow typically is, but would assume that
> there is some script that repackages the announcement message and sends it
> along to the other lists as appropriate. Clearly, that didn't happen with
> these messages. I'd hazard a guess that most users only subscribe to the
> users list, and won't know about the new release otherwise.

David,

Nothing that fancy. I write the release notes for the website using the git log
and a previous release notes, copy & paste it from a browser window into a
blank email, address the email to gnucash-announce cc gnucash-devel and
gnucash-user with reply to gnucash-user, and send it.

That usually works fine, but this time it went into the bit-bucket somewhere
between my ISP's smtp server (which my logs show acknowledging receiving it)
and Derek's. No bounce or error messages, just poof. Same with 3 resends on the
4.3 announcement and one on the 4.4, so I sent the referral email to
gnucash-user that begins this thread. On a whim I tried resending without the
cc's and that went through, though only users who're subscribed to
gnucash-announce will have gotten them. That's what Frank linked to.

Regards,
John Ralls