Hello,

I moved from (originally) Bedford Accounting to Simply Accounting and can't remember when I was required to assign account numbers to all of my accounts, but I did.

After getting started with Gnu Cash, I used the names of accounts to make transactions, but that got tiresome so I added my old account numbers to all of the accounts in Gnu Cash.  After doing that I just used the account numbers to identify which account was needed for a transaction and all of the text stuff just came with it.  When I make transactions, it's quite fast, but only for accounts for which I remember the numbers.  If I forget an account number and have to remember the account names for rarely used accounts I just click on the drop down list and get it that way.  It works and is quite fast.

I still use placeholder accounts for category headings, but for transactions, use the numbers almost exclusively.

Check to see the numbering scheme for something like Sage Simply Accounting and add the numbers to your account name and number fields, then you're away.

Rick

On 2021-02-20 6:32 p.m., gnu Gord wrote:
Thank you to everyone that replied.
I'm still a bit confused as to why I can select the accounts to
include/exclude plus I can/need to select the level. It seems redundant to
me but maybe in some situations it's required.

In my example, it appears I have created my hierarchy incorrectly. The
suggestions I received seem to say I should have no transactions in branch
accounts and only in leaf accounts. (I didn't realize I needed to be a
gardener to do accounting!) LOL
I rearranged my example and it seems the report options work more the way I
would expect, but I'm still not clear on the level vs. account selection.

To summarize the way I understand it, all but the lowest level accounts
should be marked as Placeholder accounts (or at least have no
transactions). Is this closer to 'standard' accounting practice?

Here is the way I've redone the example. With "Expenses", "L2" and "L3" all
having the Placeholder option ticked:

[image: image.png]