The invoice # is supposed to appear in the NUM/Action column. (Also, an "I" appears to the right of the date for invoices/bills, and for payments it is a "P")

The context menu (right click) should give you the option to open the invoice. The should work for either the invoice transaction or linked payment transaction.

If you can't find either transaction, Run a Vendor/Customer Report and turn on Options > Display Columns > Transaction Links > Simple/Detailed to see the invoice that payment applied to.