Yes it will use 2022 year if the report is launched in 2022.

This report is stable and will not be removed from gnucash. The only known
blocker against it moving out of experimental is that the valuation into
target currency is known to be slightly* flawed when multiple columns are
involved. To fix it would cause the report to be much slower. If the book
is single currency only then there are no known bugs on this report.

* Consider a book with multiple foreign or stock transactions at various
dates; the weighted average / average cost pricing will attempt to value
the conversion at a "reasonable" average price into the report currency.
The mechanism to obtain price at multiple dates in this report will
slightly differ from the single-date balance sheet or income statement
report.