On 10/2/21 12:48 PM, david whiting wrote:
Hi Jeff,

On Wed, 29 Sept 2021 at 07:11, Jeff <beastmaster...@hotmail.com> wrote:
[...]
I would settle for a copy of "Building the Newest Version of GNC for
Dummies Course" book.
Others have shown you that you can use flatpak to get the latest
version, but if you do want to build from source I have found that the
following works on Ubuntu 20.04. I have also attached it as a script.
This clones the source from git and by default builds the maintenance
version. The versions are tagged, so you can use git to checkout a
different version and build that if you want, e.g. you could build 4.8
rather than maint.

==== build-gnucash.sh  ====

## Change this if you want to build it somewhere else.
SOURCEDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/source"
BUILDDIR="$HOME/Documents/gnucash/build"

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

sudo apt-get install build-essential
## This is one long line
sudo apt install git make cmake libglib2.0-dev libxml2-dev
libxslt1-dev libwebkit2gtk-4.0-dev gettext swig guile-3.0-dev
libofx-dev xsltproc libboost-all-dev libdbi1 libdbi-dev libdbd-sqlite3
libsecret-1-0 libsecret-1-dev aqbanking-tools libaqbanking-dev
gwenhywfar-tools libgwengui-gtk3-dev

# Only use the next 2 lines if you have not installed [[Google_Test |
Google Test]] already.
sudo apt install libgtest-dev                # >=1.7.0
sudo apt install google-mock                 # 1.8.0 installs
googlemock in a subdirectory of gtest

mkdir -p $SOURCEDIR
mkdir -p $BUILDDIR

## Clone gnucash source from git, if it is not already there
[ ! -d $SOURCEDIR/gnucash ] && git clone
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.git $SOURCEDIR

cd $BUILDDIR
cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=$HOME/opt/gnucash $SOURCEDIR

make

==== end of script ====

David

As time permits I will give it a try.  All of my previous attempts have failed.

My next problem seems that after following, shoot can not remember who demonstrated it for me, the Flatpak install of 4.8 keeps copying my books from an external drive to my user desktop. Complete with all timed backups.  Clearly I have an environment variable set wrong someplace.  Oh well, that's what keeps development interesting, figuring out where you hid that little gremlin in the system.

--
--JEffrey Black M.B.A.