On 11/7/21 05:42, Michael Hendry wrote:
I’m assuming a “head check” is what we in the UK would call a post-dated cheque
- a cheque which can’t be cashed until a stated date; for what it’s worth, I
understand that banks in the UK will often make the payment if the cheque is
presented early.

As far as I can tell, here in the USA, checks are seldom seen by human eyes. The MICR scanner reads the account number and a character-recognitian scanner tries to read the amount. Only if that faiul does a human being try to read the amount. Consequently, post-dating a check is usually ignored.

It also was a custom for a bank not to cash a check over 90 days old, but that is not always happens either.

With a post office as bad as here in USA, more and more checks do not make it to their destination. The worst recent case for me was a check mailed inside the post office to a post office box in the same post office that was returned months later from another post office, saying there was no such post office box.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  Shrewsbury, New Jersey