So how do I print a report that has every transaction for the yearly
accounting period January 01 through December 31 of any given year by
account number?

If new to gnucash, I strongly suggest looking at all of the reports you think you might want/need. Not just by the names gnucash gives them but actually look at the report to see what it does. Personally, I consider in a couple cases, the names given the reports slightly at odds with the names used in traditional accounting. Then when you have identified the ones you want, play around with the report options, keeping in mind that with gnucash you first run the report (create it) with default options and then tailor it to what you want.

Michael D Novack