Per https://www.excel-easy.com/examples/depreciation.html Excel has five (5) depreciation methods.

I suspect these could be implemented in a manner similar to the loan calculations inside the transaction scheduler (I am not talking about the loan wizard but about the resulting functions ipmt, ppmt, etc).

Per https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Scheduled_Transactions

   "Any text string /followed by parens/, optionally with arguments,
   will have the string "gnc:" prepended to it and *evaluated in the
   scheme environment*.

       *Arguments* are separated with |:|. See fin.scm

<https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/libgnucash/app-utils/fin.scm>
       for examples of providing functions."

So, new functions could be added to fin.scm (located at libgnu cash/app-utils/fin.scm) to support depreciation.  Perhaps implement the five (5) functions found in Excel. If needed, there appears to be supporting C code in ibgnucash/app-utils/calculation/fin.c

This wouldn't automate it to the level the OP wishes, but a few minutes setting up scheduled transactions using the new routines would provide the rudimentary items needed to implement whichever depreciation schedule desired.

I also noted that there is a local/private function in fin.scm for rounding.  For the individual who wanted to force rounding at a particular point (discussion over a year ago) within a scheduled transaction, all they need to do is expose (make public) that function.

Someone other than the current developers with Scheme/C expertise should be able to whip those changes together and make a contribution.  I can read the source but do not have sufficient exposure to either language to craft the new functions.

--Steve