If you don't want to enter the entire actual Bill/Invoice/Payment history for a Customer/Vendor, then simply enter a Bill/Invoice as needed for any remaining/current amount as of the start date of your book with a line item description such as 'balance forward'. (and maybe a reference note on where to find the details)

Then the March 2021 and later payments would apply to this 'balance forward' Bill/Invoice using the regular AR/AP/Income accounts and more importantly, be part of the Customer/Vendor reports, which are GnuCash's version of an Account Statement.

Manual transactions never hit that report, which may be problematic if/when you use them.