Sorry Michael, I didn't miss the suggestion, it's just not applicable to my question. I was not asking for advice on accounting methods or changing workflow. I was asking about a specific programming/theming/coding question for the software itself.

I already have many account tabs open already, I don't want more. I also don't want to create new account structures for temporary holding accounts that I then have to open up to see what's happening (see previous statement in this paragraph). I don't even use the imbalance account because I never enter anything imbalanced in the first place.

On 2021-12-17 09:11, Michael or Penny Novack wrote:
On 12/17/2021 1:06 AM, AC wrote:

I DO NOT want to open yet another register every time I want to look for transactions that need to be updated. I prefer just to skim through the checking account register which has a variety of transactions both fully documented and some that are awaiting documentation (final split amounts, transaction IDs from the bank, etc.)

I think you missed a very important part of the suggestion I was making.

Yes this involves another "register" (account) but you would not be "looking through it" to find which transactions needed to be fixed. ANY transaction that you found there would need to be fixed and once fixed would no longer be there. Think for a moment of how "Imbalance" works. Any transactions you find in Imbalance need to be fixed and once fixed disappears,  from Imbalance. This would work like that.

Part of the problem might be not ever having done bookkeeping the old fashioned way, entering transactions into the "journal" and then "posting" to the "ledger". Essentially what happens when you enter "split mode" is that you are seeing what would have been the journal entry for that transaction and when you complete that split what you have as that journal entry gets "posted" to the ledger.

Michael D Novack