On 12/17/2021 6:44 PM, David H wrote:
Hi David,

Thanks, my bad I was thinking in terms of my personal Gnucash book not
realising it was more appropriate to be thinking in terms of business books
in Patrick's case.  Lesson learned, glad I'm still learning after all this
time :-)

Not quite. It isn't a personal vs business difference but a difference between what "paper" is for a business buying and selling paper (a stationery business) vs a business buying paper just as "office supplies". On the latter case, would immediately be an expense while in the former, only expensed as inventory depleted.

Michael D Novack

PS: Not a "capital expense". The stationery business might have those too, say its shelves and counters, etc. Those would be expensed as depreciated. This instead would be under the asset category "inventory".