There is nothing special about opening balances. They are just regular transactions that the fresh start wizard makes for you.

You should be able to edit those transactions just like any other.

But I don't understand what the problem is. Even the Retained Earnings account would have an 'opening balance' entry if you didn't start your books at zero. Thus the Opening Balance account would very likely include Retained Earnings. Why do you think it shouldn't?