Why not use the Budget Report? It rolls up sub accounts, and shows a variance if you like.

I'm pretty certain you can restrict the accounts reported on as well to reduce clutter.

Another option is to use the P&L/Income Statement, select just the expense accounts you want. There is an option for the Parent amount to include the Child amounts or not. You can also report them separate and still get a Grand Total which rolls up the Parent and the children if you like.

-----
Finally, I'd advise to keep *all* parents as placeholders only if possible. Create another child account to hold the transactions currently residing there. But this is a personal preference.

I went through various refactors of my food/dining accounts as I crafted them to better show me *why* not just *where* I was spending money.

So I've gone full nerd and done the following:

Entertainment:Dining
--Alcohol
--Breakfast
--Lunch
--Dinner
--Snacks

Food:To-Go
--Breakfast
--Lunch
--Dinner
--Snacks

I also track gratuities separately 'cause I can get carried away some times and I want to know if that's why my food dollars are disappearing so fast.

Gratuities
--Other
--Dining
--Entertainment
--To-Go

That Alcohol category is just for out in restaurants when I'm dining. I have a separate "Entertainment:Sympinein" for when I'm just out for drinks with friends; and "Groceries:Alcohol" for packaged stuff from the grocery store!

I'm by no means suggesting anyone go this crazy, but it helped me get a fast handle on money that seemed to disappear into the ether. I've since turned that info into budgeting for each. And you don't even want to see my 'Grocery' account tree! (I use it for balanced food planning too, which also helped me cut my Dining budget drastically and zero To-Go entirely.)