I think you'll have issues if you try to have different account types between parents and children. I vaguely recall a thread about that a few years ago. (And I might have even done it once myself)

Some folks were making Top Level accounts for various properties and duplicating other parts of the tree under each. And I think they found some bugs as a result, but those bugs wouldn't be resolved, because the answer in the case you need to go that far is to make separate books for each property and then have a 'company/consolidated book' that takes bottom-line numbers from the individual property books.

If your needs aren't that complicated, there is nothing wrong with contra-accounts however. Accountants use them fairly regularly.