Arthur,

If you enter a negative amount into a register it will swap it to the other column. (debit/credit if using formal labels, left/right respectively otherwise - the labels change based on the account type.)

The opening balance transaction should have been a credit (right column) to your AR-Other account (or whatever you named it, it isn't of type 'A/Receivable' is it?) and if you view splits, an equal debit (left column) should be in the split for the Equity:Opening Balances account.

The 220 payment should have been another credit (right column) to his custom AR account and the other split a debit (left column) to your "cash/checking/undeposited funds" account depending on the method of payment received.

The current balance of the account should be a credit of 404. (shown as negative if that preference is set accordingly)

-----

Note that doing manual AR transactions you will *not* have a Statement of Account out of the box. You only get that included if you use the Business Features and set your tenant up as a 'customer' and post 'invoices' for rent. (Reports > Business > Customer Report)

You can use the Account Report as a substitute depending on how you handle your manual transactions. (*not* the 'Account Report - Single Transaction', just regular 'Account Report')

Be sure to run that report while viewing the custom AR register. (as that is the account you want a report on, not on your Opening Balances account which is the other side of this transaction.)

If the resulting report is blank or is telling you there is not sufficient info, click the Options button and start investigating various report options till you get what you are looking for. (or close to it) You can keep the Options window open and simply 'Apply' to see the changes as you go. Once you have them set to your liking, use the Save Config As... button. Note that from this point on, you'll need to load the report from the Reports > Saved Report Configurations window, and *not* using the Reports > Account Report menu item. (otherwise, you'll get the default options and you need to set them all over again each time)

-----

While you are learning GnuCash, I highly recommend you turn on View > Transaction Journal mode and Double Line mode. This will show you all splits at all times, as well as the extra 'Notes' field. (which you may find to be very useful) This way, you'll see what GnuCash is doing in every transaction and it will help you learn double-entry. Feel free to turn it back to Basic or Auto-Split mode at any time, but I switched and never went back.

I also personally turned on "Preferences > Accounts > Labels > Use formal accounting labels" because Debit/Credit was easier for me to learn than the sometimes confusing and ever changing common terms for each account type. This makes it easier to follow accounting texts/websites as they use the debit/credit labels, not the GnuCash 'common' labels.

Another good idea is to set "Preferences > Accounts > Reverse Balanced Accounts > Credit accounts" as that way, you'll see all 'normal' balances as positive. If you ever see a negative balance, that might indicate something is entered incorrectly (as a debit instead of a credit, or the reverse) or you'll at least know you are in the 'opposite' normal balance for that type of account. (you can't have a negative cash account, but you can be overdrawn in checking, and you can have overpaid on a credit card/liability account)