On 3/16/2022 8:49 PM, D. wrote:
Michael,

I think I get what you're saying. In my own case, I've taken to separating the pretax streams into their own income accounts, which seemingly addresses some of your points.

But one of the big selling points of IRA/401Ks is that they earn money tax deferred (which I've also isolated into their own income accounts). How does Joe allocate the distributions-- or does it even matter? Each distribution is going to include a portion of deferred income and a portion of untaxed dividends (at least how I've captured the txns thus far). Is there a different way to manage those dividends?

If the contributions are all "pre-tax" then they are "deferred income" . The "deferred income" account would have been used when you entered the transaction for a contribution.

What the account has earned is also all "deferred income". If you were entering transactions to record the increase in value of your 401K, that would have been the other side of the transaction. Note that it is "deferred ordinary incomeĀ  and not "deferred capital gains"

If the 401k existed before you began with gnucash, the probable cause was entering the starting balance using the "tool" (so other side "starting equity"). It should have been "deferred income" << you could still use the tool -- when you created "deferred income" (probably under equity) with the same starting value that would have taken it out of "starting equity". Understand? Yes "deferred income" is part of your equity but it is different than your other equity because it has an attached tax liability.

Michael D Novack

PSĀ  --- Bears repeating, but a "manual" is not a "user guide". We really should not be advising users about things like this. In other words, the question isn't "how do I enter transactions related to a 401k" but "what accounts, what transactions, would I be using when accounting for a 401k". That's for a tax accountant to tell you, or you look it up. I am not legally qualified to answer "tax accountant" sorts of questions.