I don't think the date itself is relevant. What you want is to get to a new blank transaction, correct?

I have the same problem using 4.9 on MacOS BigSur. I'm not sure when this started. As far as I know, there is no preference.

There is a preference for using the 'Enter' key for this function, but that might not be desirable.

I guess try playing with that and see if it works to your liking.

But I'd say it is a bug.