A possibility that has not been mentioned yet is if there are transactions
in more than one currency or involving securities.  If so, there are many
possible additional sources of discrepancy.  Also, if the discrepancies
suddenly appeared, say, after updating GnuCash to release 4.10, for
example, that release is very new and may have 'bugs', known or unknown.

David Carlson

David Carlson