On 4/12/2022 3:07 PM, Dale Alspach wrote:
Unless one lives in a science fiction world with time travel available one does not normally *schedule* something to occur in the past.
:)
If this is kept as a feature then perhaps the name should be changed to "automatic transaction creation tool".
Dale

The entry of transactions into a journal/ledger is not "real time:

Some of the organizations for which I kept books would have very few transactions for most of the year. Just one or two a month (recordĀ  bank interest, for example). I didn't enter these as they came in but saved up till at least a half dozen or so or perhaps just once before the quarterly board meeting so I could do a Treasurer's report. So ALWAYS in the past.

You have confused "when you arranged between some party and your bank to make an automatic periodic payment" (when these real transactions began taking place) and "when you entered this in your books" (by setting up a scheduled transaction in gnucash). To use my "low volume org" for example, might be one date when arranging with national to draw monthly "chapter dues" from the chapter account and these deductions from the bank account occur and some later time when set up in the books. ONE of the organizations I kept books for only met annually and for maybe 10-11 months of the year would have close to zero transaction volume. So books "done" just once a year.

Michael D Novack