Quicken isn't really an accounting app. Intuit's offering in that space is
Quickbooks. That means that how you used Quicken isn't directly transferable to
GnuCash. If being able to use a Free Software alternative to Quicken the same
way you use Quicken is important to you then have a look at KMyMoney:
https://kmymoney.org/ <https://kmymoney.org/>

To accomplish what I think you're trying to do in "real" accounting requires
two special accounts: An asset account to collect the money reserved for the
payment and a liability account to accumulate the accrual. For your property
tax example, suppose you owe 1200 every six month, but you want to record the
expense and make a reservation monthly. You'll create two accounts:
Assets:Current Assets:Provision for Property Tax and Liabliltues:Current
Liabilities:Accrued Property Tax. Every month you'll create a transaction that
looks something like:

5/1/2022 Accrued Property Tax
                                                     Assets:Current Assets:Bank
                                                    200.00
                                                     Assets:Current
Assets:Provision for Property Tax      200.00
                                                     Expenses:Tax
Expenses:Property Tax                       200.00
                                                     Liabilities:Current
Liabilities:Accrued Property Tax                  200.00

Then when you transfer the money to the Tax Collector:

6/1/2022 Pay Property Tax
                                                    Assets:Current
Assets:Provision for Property Tax                        200.00
                                                    Liabilities:Current
Liabilities:Accrued Property Tax   200.00

Regards,
John Ralls