I see I was mistaken about the earliest GnuCash in flathub. It's in fact
2.6.16, in commit
https://github.com/flathub/org.gnucash.GnuCash/commit/d00d11bd14b3c9a1fce8a18f560163aca1742297

<https://github.com/flathub/org.gnucash.GnuCash/commit/d00d11bd14b3c9a1fce8a18f560163aca1742297>.
It appears that flathub dropped support for new i386 packages sometime between
September and December 2019, the release dates for GnuCash 3.7 and 3.8
respectively. That explains why you're unable to get a more recent GnuCash. The
nightly builds on code.gnucash.org <http://code.gnucash.org/> are also x86_64
so that won't help you.

While Ubuntu no longer supports 32-bit computers Debian still does (but not
all, see https://wiki.debian.org/ArchitectureSpecificsMemo#i386-1
<https://wiki.debian.org/ArchitectureSpecificsMemo#i386-1>) and their current
stable release includes GnuCash 4.4. You still won't be able to use flatpaks.
Note that Debian stable does not provide GnuCash upgrades between releases so
if you want to keep current you should go with Debian testing. While it might
be tempting to try to just change the sources file and run apt update && apt
system-upgrade, I found several discussions like this one
https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/616907/how-to-upgrade-lubuntu-to-debian

<https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/616907/how-to-upgrade-lubuntu-to-debian>
 saying not to do that.

Regards,