Il 19/05/22 00:50, davidcousen...@gmail.com ha scritto:
You need a sub account of your asset account and a corresponding account in
Equity which you could call a revaluation reserve or something similar. This
account can be either in Equity itself or could be an Income or Expense account
(which is included in profit and loss). Which is appropriate to use depends upon
many factors, the asset, the rules that apply to that asset class in your
jurisdiction including tax legislation etc., whether the gains or losses are or
are not taxable (generally not but as Mike points out not always). These sort of
considerations with regard to the reporting requirements will determine exactly
where in an account heirarchy this account should be positioned. This is where
you need accounting advice relevant to your jurisdiction and your personal
situation.

Thank you, David: this is what I was looking for! Automation isn't really worth the effort for my use case, planned use is only at year end.

In light of this, would your suggestion be better, equivalent or worse than recording a fake sale? After all, in the following year I am already recording a fake purchase (at the same price, the same amount of shares and the same overall value).

Andrea.