Interesting approach.

Some reports let you search on several fields for specific matches, so for those, you could simply include your 'tags' in the Description, Notes, or Memo fields.

That would save lots of effort maintaining and including in each transaction 'dummy' splits as 'tags'.

Unfortunately at the moment, the P&L/Income Statement is not one of these reports. (though that would be extremely useful)