I use account codes in my file, and  like it quite a bit. You can add the Code to the Chart of Accounts (CoA) page and quickly sort on it as one would with any other displayed column. I'll note that the tree aspect of the CoA means that the sorting will still be hierarchical--that is, accounts will only sort in order at the same level of hierarchy.

You can take advantage of this. A little trick I've used in my (perhaps exceedingly) deep CoA is to refrain from assigning codes in certain accounts, such as for individual commodities in investment accounts. I do this because adding codes to the (often many) individual commodity accounts quickly bogs down in a portfolio with even just a few transactions per year. Instead, I use a single dummy code in the commodities (1), and a blank for the associated Cash account. This places the cash account at the top of the account listing, where I can quickly find it; all the other commodities will then sort alphabetically afterward. I find this kludge workable for my circumstances; your results may vary.

David T.