You might take a look at section 2.4 of the Guide, which is titled "Storing
Your Financial Data." It goes into some detail about the different "back end"
storage options. It certainly is unfortunate that the documentation uses two
words, while the error uses one.

Regardless, the problem wasn't with the back end format, but that you kept
trying to open the settings file (June2022.gnucash.gcm) rather than the actual
data file. Derek pointed this out a couple of times.

Glad you got it sorted out anyway.

David T.