Another approach idea:

1. Find a previous transaction for which you want to repeat a description. (this can be done from the CoA, or from a particular account, such as an expense account)

2. Right-click & Duplicate Transaction

3. Edit the new transaction as desired.

Yet another approach:

1. I use 'Description' for people/companies I pay money to, or recieve money from *only*.

2. I put 'description' information in the Notes field. (you need View> Double-Line turned on to see it)

3. I put line-item descriptions in the Memo fields for each split. (use View > Auto-Split or View > Transaction Journal, or the Split button to see them)

4. Now you're 'Descriptions' are much more limited to just Payors/Payees. Your detailed info, still can use auto-complete, but will come up as you type. Additionally, repeating a Payor/Payee, can auto-complete the entire last transaction with them, so some descriptions may carry through automatically. This is particularly helpful for regular transactions that don't change often save maybe for amounts.

p.s. I agree, it would be nice to see a pull-down to choose from, similar to the account list. Feel free to file an RFE (Request for Enhancement) on Bugzilla. Someone who can code it may agree and implement it.