I thought MariaDB was supposed to be a 'drop-in' replacement for MySQL.

Was it really necessary to use XML in the migration?

Frank has already pointed you to the config wiki page, but for the theme, check the FAQ on the wiki. There's an entry in the 'Customizing' section that will lead you to how to edit or specify the theme.