On 8/26/2022 9:14 AM, rsbrux via gnucash-user wrote:
This is an old topic, but I finally figured out what's wrong.
On the Ubuntu desktop system where I run GnuCash (and little else), I set up a
cron job to update prices at first logon each day, as described here:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Online_Quotes#Updating_enabled_Quotes_from_outside_GnuCash
Unfortunately, starting GnuCash is often the first thing I want to do when I
start up the system and I obviously haven't been waiting long enough for the
cron job to finish.
Is there a smarter way to make sure prices are collected online without having
to wait and check that GC has finished the price update before I try to use it
interactively?

Not EXACTLY an old topic. Most of what we have seen before is people asking about a false "cannot obtain lock" message << in other words, when there is NOT another use of the gnucash data going on >> You are asking about when it it TRUE.

In other words, the lock file mechanism is doing exactly what it is supposed to to to prevent concurrent access. When YOU are getting the message it means "not now, try again later".

Please explain exactly what you want to happen in all timing situations.  Think about all the possibilities (for example, you get gnucash open BEFORE this "update prices" has started to run)

Michael D Novack