Ah, you may indeed have to create a budget even if there are no budgeted figures. My memory is a bit fuzzy on that point, but I think the budget report will require you specify a budget, which defines what the periods are, and those are fixed with absolute dates. It is not a sliding window like 'this year' that other reports offer. So you set up a new 'budget', put no figures in it (unless you want to) define the time frame of the budget to the reporting period you want (say, 1/22—12/22), then run a Budget Report for that 'budget' you just defined, turning off Actuals, Difference, and various subtotals, et cetera as needed to clean it up.

Another option, though the layout may not be desirable, is the Transaction Report selecting the desired accounts, then removing as much info as possible, and including the 'table' option. That *might* get you close. But I think the Budget Report is closer if you can get the reporting period to line up.

A further alternative would be separate Income Statement & Balance Sheet reports. (if you want to export to a spreadsheet)

If you just want to view it on screen, then you can create a custom multi-column report with both of those. Note, the multi-column report is more than just 'columns' and more like specifying layout. (you can have more than one report in a single 'column' if I recall correctly) It is possible to use this to create a 'dashboard' of sorts with various reports/charts in its own tab.